Sunday, July 13, 2008

Cushion


"The Lord will keep you from all harm—He will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore." (vv. 7-8)

July. Our month of comings and goings. And in the midst of it all, my sister sent me this encouraging note. Coming from an MK who moved after 9th grade, she's the only one I know who may truly understand how my daughter, Lissy, feels about our going. Transition stress is also a current experience for her. She understands me better than she knows.

Just want you to know I've been holding you up in prayer today. I am trusting God to bring buyers for your car and house and to help you get everything done without feeling too stressed in the next couple weeks. But mostly I pray for your heart. I can't really imagine all the emotions which must flood into your mind and heart throughout each day, but I'm sure they are a jumble of sadness, anticipation, apprehension, grief, etc. Although I can't say I totally understand, I do remember vividly what it was like to stand on the steps of the Garuda plane looking back at my "homeland" knowing I would never see it again . . . and then crying all the way to Jakarta. I had only had a couple weeks to absorb the news, and I think I was still stunned. I know God has given you a love for the land and people of Estonia, and it must wrench your heart to say good-bye to it all . . . and yet there is so much ahead which will be fulfilling, but still unknown, and different . . . I pray that He who created your heart will sustain and cushion it during this transition, and that He will do the same for each of your family. I know He is big enough to carry Lissy through the unknown and use this year to draw her closer to Him. I know He is big enough to give you the wisdom, grace, and strength to face a new country and climate and culture and language. I know He is big enough to enable Brian to teach a bunch of classes he has never taught before. I know He is big enough to be all that you need. I saw a phrase yesterday which says it better that I can: "I know I am not, but I know I AM." I pray that you will know the empowering and tender compassion of I AM today. I don't even pretend to understand what you're going through, but I do understand a jumble of emotions while following God in trust to an unknown place . . . I hope these promises from Psalm 121 will encourage you today: "The Lord will keep you from all harm—He will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore." (vv. 7-8)

Yes, God will sustain and cushion our hearts. He will watch over our lives. He watches our going from Estonia. He watches our coming to Cameroon. And I believe this cushion is softer because people like my sister and dear friends in our supporting churches take the time to pray and to encourage us. I know I am not capable to bring my family through this, but I know I AM, and I AM is watching me, creating a pillow for each of our hearts.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

What a wonderful letter. I will pray especially for Lissy as you make this move. I know it must be very hard.

Brian said...

Hello Beverly,
We appreciate your careful reading and constant prayer as we follow the Lord in this move.
Sincerely, Brian