Tuesday, December 23, 2008

With Us

“…and they will call him Immanuel – which means, “God with us.” Matthew 1:23

…had I known
I’ve been asked several times since my arrival in Cameroon, “But if you had really known what it was like here, would you have come?” It’s an interesting question to think about. Had I been aware of how often we’d be living without water and electricity, how dusty and cold our house would be, how “cut off” from the world we’d be, would I have come? Many times, we think it would have been nice to know a little more ahead of time, to prepare, to bring with us a few more items to make our life more enjoyable.

…He knew
The God who is with us, who left the perfection of heaven knowingly and willingly, to live in our dusty, dirty world has gained my respect in a new way this season. When I think of all the little luxuries I long for, I wonder what it is that Jesus longed for as he lived in our world. Did He miss the immediacy of being with the Father? Did he cry over the dirtiness of his temporary habitat, the constant sinfulness he faced each day? He stepped into our world, knowingly giving up perfection, and he didn’t quit or go home early. He didn’t bring anything along to make life more comfortable in our world. He didn’t leave the job half done. Thirty-three years, without a home assignment, without a sabbatical. No colleague who really understood. Not even the appearance of great results to keep him motivated. How did He do it? How amazing that He didn’t give up on us and go home.

…with us
Our answer is yes, we would have come. We’re thankful that we didn’t come empty handed – our suitcases, most of them eventually arrived. We’re glad for family who filled ten boxes and sent them via sea container to make our life more comfortable. And we were really thrilled to go pick up those ten boxes, cleared through customs and delivered to a near-by hospital yesterday. What fun to put Christmas presents under the tree! What joy to give Sarah a few new outfits to wear instead of the two sets she’s been alternating between each day since July. All the stuff adds pleasure to our lives, but the only way we remain content, is with the knowledge that the God who authored incarnation, is with us still. Immanuel knows what it’s like to live in a foreign, sinful, dirty place. He understands what it’s like to live far from home and to long for it. And He knows the pleasure of going home one day. This is the day we truly long for – not just back stateside, but for our permanent home, with Immanuel forever.

2 comments:

Dave Bell said...

Brain and Stephanie-Hello, my name is Dave Bell and my wife's name is Leah. Brian, we met you in Estonia in August of '03 while on a missions trip with Calvary Baptist Church from State College PA. My wife and I spent most of our time in Jogeva with Pastor Margus. I am not sure if you remember us, but we were the only married folks on the trip. We were in our early 30's then. Anyway, God brought you and Estonia to my mind this morning, so I decided to "look" you up. I was surprised to see your change in scenery! Please know that Leah and I pray for you and your family when God brings you to mind. After reading some entries in your blog, we will both know how better to pray for you all. May God continue to reveal His character to you in Camaroon! God Bless

Eternally Thankful said...

Greetings from Ohio Brian & Stephanie,

Just read some of your wonderful and creative blogs.
“You can live without the necessities if you have a few luxuries!” says so very much coming from you Stephanie. We don’t realize just how much you have given so you can answer the call.

Your telling of your move put us right there with you. “Moving to Africa, selling and giving everything we owned in Europe away, saying good-bye (for a second time) to a familiar life, and settling into this place has been the hardest thing I’ve ever done.”
Also I am one that likes (needs) things in order. “Seeing the dirt and grime and trash and poverty so obviously around me every time I step out the door (okay, I don’t even always have to step out the door) is not a lifestyle I would have chosen for myself.” You’re an inspiration to us. God bless you.

Your analogy of your arrival in Cameroon and how that Jesus came to our dusty, dirty world gives us a new appreciation of just how great of gift His coming is.

Jim & Rochelle